Square Enix Collective and Bulkhead Interactive announced that Battalion 1944 players will be treated to a huge, comprehensive update ahead of a four day long $50,000 tournament later this year. The update is set to roll out on June 12, 2018, which includes a complete overhaul of the game’s main competitive mode (better known as Wartide 2.0), a new map, Savoia, set on the streets of Italy, and a new ‘BattleRank Season’ where gaining XP unlocks new skins – much like ‘battlepass’ systems in other games but, in this case, completely free.
All this comes alongside significant matchmaking improvements, new character models, a new sound system, a reworking and rebalancing of some of the game’s guns, and an extensive visual overhaul and performance upgrade, amongst various other updates and new additions.
Joe Brammer, Studio Lead at Bulkhead Interactive, said:
“If launching Battalion 1944 has taught us anything, it’s that a game where anticipation is high offers a steep and very public learning curve – both for the studio as a whole, and myself personally. Listening to the community has been our most powerful tool and a lot of what’s in this update is based on suggestions – from improving the graphics to making certain weapons more powerful. We’ve listened, and considered everything to try and push play forward in the way players want.
Fans of the studio know I don’t tend to hold back, so I’d like to offer a genuine thanks to players who have helped to improve Battalion 1944 these last few months. We’ve been listening, and we’ve been working hard.”
The huge update this June will include:
- New competitive game mode, Wartide 2.0, including a complete overhaul of the game’s main competitive mode;
- Matchmaking improvements that get players in-game and firing hot-lead faster than ever;
- A brand new ‘BattleRank Season’ to unlock new skins by gaining XP, similar to Battlepass systems in other games, but free;
- New character models;
- New map, Savoia, set on the streets of Italy;
- Complete design and visual overhaul of existing maps (added ladders!);
- New weapons – Grease Gun and the MP28;
- Movement rework and huge gun balance gameplay changes – including sniper and jumping nerfs;
- New sound system (gunshot sounds react to distance away from player and if walls are blocking sounds);
- Over 60 new unlockable skins through BattleRank and the new ‘Aces High’ War Chest; and
- Visual overhaul & performance upgrades.