FTRichter has released a brand new gameplay mod for the first Dark Souls game that is heavily inspired by The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, called Dark Souls – The breath of the Soul. This mod features a lot of gameplay and mechanic changes and its title suggests, most of them were influenced by the latest Zelda game.
As the modder noted, the core gameplay-element is, that weapons are much more fragile now, so you have to change weapons more often. Players will have to check their inventory more often and consider which weapon suits best for each situation. The modder suggests making good use of the weapons by two handing them or doing strong attacks. Moreover, he suggests players kick enemies that are standing near a cliff, and – generally speaking – use the environment to their advantage, and buying throwing knifes, golden powder and bombs. It’s also worth noting that upgrading a weapon restores durability.
Of course this isn’t the only gameplay change that comes with this mod. Weapons can now be upgraded by only using souls (some upgrades require additional items), brings altered and new boss fights, allows for more freedom to explore, changes to the moveset of some weapons and more.
Those interested can download the mod from here, and below you can find its complete list of changes.
Dark Souls – The breath of the Soul Key Features
- Weapons will break very fast and can not be repaired normally, so you have to check your inventory more often and consider which weapon suits best for each situation
- Enemies drop weapons much more often
- Weapons can be upgraded by only using souls (some upgrades require additional items)
- Changes to the moveset of some weapons
- Created new items or added new effects to existing ones (New Buffs and new Healing items)
- Changed the inventory of vendors
- Changed some Weapons (Name, damage, description, scaling, effects…)
- New starting classes
- New starting gifts
- Altered and new boss fights
- More freedom to explore (More areas to go to from the beginning of the game. A lot of the game will become “optional” but will be needed to have an easier time with the endboss)
- Event-based enemy spawn
- New changes to the level spawn but based on Prepare to die Again
- Small changes to item-loot based on Prepare to die Again
- Changed some spells
- Changed bonfire positions based on Prepare to die Again
- Changed stats of bosses
- Changed some dialogue