Crowbar Collective has released a brand new update for the beta build of Black Mesa. According to the release notes, the Gonarch Beta HotFix addresses numerous gameplay issues, and brings some new UI fixes and changes.
Going into more details, this new patch for Black Mesa adjusts the Gonarch AI so it can behave differently and deploy different attack patterns based on Easy/Normal/Hard difficulty. Moreover, it fixes a crash related to Gonarch mortars and resolves a loophole where Gonarch could die/gib in map A and final upper arena. Furthermore, it makes minor adjustments to chase AI to make it more forgiving. It also reduces melee attack damage, and scales based on game difficulty setting.
It’s also worth noting that this patch fixes a major performance drop when using the new UI. Singleplayer game will be now paused when using the UI or console.
Last but not least, this patch adds “Enable Developer Console” to the Game options screen. Oh, and the an Advanced Settings Menu is now fully hooked up.
Steam will download this patch automatically if you have opted in for the game’s beta build. Below you can find its complete changelog.
Black Mesa Gonarch Beta HotFix Release Notes
Gonarch and Bebcrab AI Changes
- Gonarch AI now behaves differently and deploys different attack patterns based on Easy/Normal/Hard difficulty.
- Fixed bug causing Gonarch to do 250 damage on melee attacks
- Fixed bug causing Gonarch to spawn 60 bebcrabs instead of 15 in lower arena battle
- Gonarch shove damage in map B chase reduced by 50%
- Gonarch shove damage in map C chase reduced by 70%
- Gonarch shove view punch and knock back amount greatly reduced
- Gonarch AI tweaks for final lair arena battle.
- Fixed a crash related to Gonarch mortars
- Fixed a loophole where Gonarch could die/gib in map A and final upper arena
- Fixed Gonarch physics throw attack not respecting cool-down system under certain conditions
- Minor Adjustments to chase AI to make it more forgiving, reduce melee attack damage, and scale based on game difficulty setting
- Bebcrab jump height reduced to 20 units high, making it much less likely they clip one of your rockets
- Bebcrab damage reduced by 50%
- Bebcrab max count in final upper arena reduced by 33%
New UI Fixes / Changes
If you are interested in testing the work in progress UI, use -newgameui as a launch command.
- Fixed major performance drop when using new UI
- Singleplayer game is now paused when UI or Console is Activated
- Brought up default Qt behavior for key Auto-Repeat
- Game Console: Command Input now has history
- Game Console: Partial Autocomplete implementation (WIP, expect bugs)
- Game Console: Log Area now 1-2% faster than old UI
- Added “Enable Developer Console” to the Game options screen
- Advanced Settings Menu is now fully hooked up
John is the founder and Editor in Chief at DSOGaming. He is a PC gaming fan and highly supports the modding and indie communities. Before creating DSOGaming, John worked on numerous gaming websites. While he is a die-hard PC gamer, his gaming roots can be found on consoles. John loved – and still does – the 16-bit consoles, and considers SNES to be one of the best consoles. Still, the PC platform won him over consoles. That was mainly due to 3DFX and its iconic dedicated 3D accelerator graphics card, Voodoo 2. John has also written a higher degree thesis on the “The Evolution of PC graphics cards.”