Dear Villagers and Modern Storyteller have announced the final release date for their debut title, The Forgotten City. In order to celebrate this announcement, the teams have also released a new trailer that you can find below.
The Forgotten City is a narrative-driven murder mystery game of exploration and deduction, and a re-imagining of the critically acclaimed mod that won a national Writers’ Guild award and racked up over 3 million downloads.
As the press release reads:
“Players must relive the city’s final moments in an endless loop, changing the course of the day with each secret they uncover. Combat is an option, but violence will only get them so far. Only by cleverly exploiting the time loop and making difficult moral choices can they hope to unravel this murderous riddle.”
Nick Pearce, founder of Modern Storyteller, said:
“We’re delighted to be releasing the game after more than four years of development by a core team of three hard-working devs. We hope it finds its audience: gamers whose intelligence and time deserve respect, who enjoy the challenge of unravelling a mystery on their own, and who understand that a great story doesn’t need to rely on combat to make hearts race and soar.”
Here are also the game’s key features:
- An open-world ancient Roman city with historically authentic art, architecture and costumes
- Richly detailed, deeply interactive characters
- Moral dilemmas which have life-and-death consequences
- A gripping, non-linear mystery with multiple endings
- Choose your own gender, origin and backstory
- Multiple ways to problem-solve, including reason, charm, bribery, intimidation, violence or by cleverly exploiting the time loop