In March 2019, we released an article on Valve’s return to game streaming via the Steam Link app. Several readers noted at the time that mobile iOS devices held a conspicuous absence within the list of supported platforms, but now it appears Valve has just released an iOS version of the app.
The Steam Link app is basically Valve’s replacement of the external console devices for which the company halted production in November 2018. The app aims to bring your entire Steam library from your gaming PC to the comfort of your iPad or iPhone paired with a controller.
There were initially concerns that the app violates certain terms of iOS mobile apps, but it seems Valve and Apple were able to work it out. If you like play for team Apple, and you have not tried out the service yet, you can download the app from the App Store here. One caveat is that you need a robust internet connection. As stated by on the store:
The Steam Link app brings desktop gaming to your iPhone or iPad. Just pair an MFI or Steam controller to your device, connect to a computer running Steam on the same local network, and start playing your existing Steam games.
* iPhone or iPad using iOS 11 or higher
* Computer running Steam – Windows, Mac, or Linux
* iOS device must be on the same local network as the computer running Steam
For best performance:
* Connect your computer using Ethernet to your 5Ghz WiFi router
* Connect your iOS device to the 5GHz band of your WiFi network
* Keep your iOS device within a reasonable range of your router