TJ Townsend has informed us about a new 2.5D shmup he’s been working on. We’ve shared TJ Townsend’s work in the past (he’s the man behind the HD concept art remake of Metroid) and Pythetron looks really interesting. The game’s Kickstarter campaign aims to raise $5K in total, and has 26 days in order to meet that goal.
As its description reads, in Pythetron you control the speed! If you are up for it, you can put the pedal to the metal and blast through each level, dodging obstacles, dealing damage to your foes and discovering tricks that make each stage completion challenging and rewarding. You can use speed to strategically advance through the game, or be lighter on the throttle and meticulously plow through your enemies as you choose your route across the galaxy.
Here are the game’s key features:
- Gameplay exists solely on a 2d plane
- Visually compelling 3d backgrounds and environments
- 7.1 surround sound compatible
- Crazy smooth motion using a high tech modern physics engine
- Dynamically scalable graphics that look great on modern PCs and even better on a gaming rig
- A vast game world to explore with many themes and cleverly designed levels
- Customize your ship to make your ultimate machine of destruction
- 11 elaborate boss battles
- Replayable levels that feel totally new when you use speed techniques
- 1080p 60fps on any modern graphics card and most older cards