Telltale Games announced today that it’s working on a new video-game narrative-driven episodic series based on Mojang’s Minecraft game. The series will feature an original story, driven by player choice. It will not be an add-on for Minecraft, but rather a separate stand-alone product, and its first episode will be released in 2015.
As Telltale Games noted:
“Minecraft: Story Mode will mix new characters with familiar themes, in an entirely original Minecraft experience, inspired by the Minecraft community and the game that continues to inspire a generation.”
Here are the key features of Minecraft: Story Mode:
- Minecraft: Story mode will be a narrative-driven video game created by Telltale Games. It will be about Minecraft.
- Mojang is collaborating with Telltale and members of the community to make Minecraft: Story Mode as Minecrafty as possible.
- The first episode will be released some time in 2015, and will be available on Xbox consoles, PlayStation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android-based devices.
- Minecraft: Story Mode will be released episodically, just like The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, or the recent Tales from the Borderlands, which is another developer-collaboration series between Telltale Games and Gearbox Software.
- We’re not intending on creating an “official” story for Steve, or explaining the world of Minecraft in detail. It will be a cool game.
- The Minecraft 2 thing was a joke. No really. It was a joke.