Randy Greenback and Gun Media have launched a Kickstarter campaign for Friday the 13th: The Game. Friday the 13th: The Game will be a third-person, asymmetrical multiplayer title where one player controls Jason Voorhees while the remaining seven control camp counselors trying to survive the night.
Friday the 13th: The Game will be powered by Unreal Engine 4, will feature a semi-open world environment, and the team aims to raise $700K in the next 31 days.
Gun Media decided to not partner with any publisher – and launch a Kickstarter campaign – in order to create a game full of gore that will be properly suitable for all Jason fans. In short, this game will not be suitable for teens.
“We’re not interested in compromising what made the film franchise so popular. We’re interested in building precisely what we, as fans, want. The ultimate Friday the 13th experience. Blood, guts, gore, brutal kills, and more. You want an experience true to the films, and so do we. It’s about creative control and delivering the best game we can. We want to share that control, with you, not a publisher.”
Here are the key gameplay features of Friday the 13th: The Game:
- Play as Jason Voorhees -- The game you’ve been waiting for; you’ll be stalking the shadows and picking off each and every counselor as the most feared name in horror, Jason Voorhees! Jason will be brought to life in the game and you make the decision of how to go about setting up and performing each kill! We’ll be giving you a slew of abilities to terrify, harass and then brutally dispatch those opposing you.
- Counselors: Fight or Flight – Jason is deadly, but he can be stopped! The movie does have to end, right? You and your fellow counselors will have a multitude of ways to escape from Jason while in Camp Crystal Lake. Not satisfied with simply running? You’ll have the opportunity to try and take Jason out. Be warned, Jason won’t go down easy, and nothing is a sure thing.
- Make Your Own Horror -- Camp Crystal Lake, Jason Voorhees and a lot of horny teenagers makes for a lot of good stories. We’re going to be implementing a ‘Movie Trailer’ system that plays at the end of the match. This dynamic trailer will highlight the best moments of every game, in the style of the original 1980’s trailers! Each and every time you play Friday the 13th, you’ll be creating your own little movie. Beyond that, we plan to allow you to share your best trailers. Want to show Jason killing in dark, grisly, or even hilarious ways? Do it! Want to try to emulate the trailers from the original 80’s films? Give it a go. We’re eagerly anticipating some really gnarly cuts from the community’s trailers!
- Fear System – Jason Voorhees strikes fear into every single person he comes across, and while many bravely attempt to take him on, most fail. The fear of never knowing where Jason is at any given time is powerful, and counselors will have to do everything they can to mitigate that fear while playing. Get too struck with fear and you’ll start to question what’s real and what isn’t.
- Progression – Friday the 13th is a long-running franchise, one with a whole cast of characters. Players will get a unified progression system to unlock multiple Jason character models from the classic films, as well as additional Camp Counselors with their own unique stats and traits.These are just a few of our unlocks and only scratches the surface of what we have planned to engage players over the lifetime of Friday the 13th: The Game. Remember, creative gameplay from both counselors and Jason will result in bigger and better rewards!
- The Return of Tommy Jarvis – One of our biggest goals is to bring back Tommy Jarvis as a guide for you, the player. With a stretch goal, we hope to give you a fully 3D environment where you can access stories about Jason, view your progress and even collect bits and pieces from Camp Crystal Lake for use with Tommy Jarvis. Do enough for him, and a special surprise will await you!