Square Enix has announced that DRAGON QUEST XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition will be coming to the PC on December 4th. However, the publisher has confirmed that this will be a port of the Nintendo Switch version.
What this ultimately means is that this “Definitive Edition” may look worse than the original PC version of Dragon Quest XI. I haven’t played the Nintendo Switch version of Dragon Quest XI so I don’t know whether there are any major graphical compromises.
As the game’s official FAQ states:
“This version includes a number of new features that were not present in the original DRAGON QUEST XI for PlayStation 4, including new storylines, the ability to switch to 2D mode, additional voice data, and more. It’s a port of the Nintendo Switch version, so the graphics are not the same as they were for the original DRAGON QUEST XI for PlayStation 4.”
On the other hand, this new version of Dragon Quest XI will come with some new character side stories. It will also have a new retro 2D mode and a Photo Mode. Furthermore, it will pack a fully orchestrated soundtrack and Japanese voices.
Here are the key features of
- New character side stories. Get to know your fascinating cast of companions more than ever with individual side stories and adventures
- Retro 2D mode. In addition to stunning 3D you can also choose to play in 2D with retro inspired graphics of classic 16-bit RPGs
- 16-bit World of Tickington. Journey to past DRAGON QUEST worlds full of additional side-quests reimagined in the retro style
- Japanese audio. Choice to play the entire game with all-new Japanese voice over or the original English
- Fully Orchestrated Soundtrack. Ability to switch between the symphonic soundtrack or the original synthesized soundtrack as you travel the world of Erdrea
- Photo mode. Immortalize your adventure with the perfect image. Rearrange characters, set different poses, change angles etc. are just some of the features available in Photo Mode
For what it’s worth, owners of the original PC version can enjoy the fully orchestrated soundtrack via this mod.