Valve has announced the cancellation of Artifact 2.0. Moreover, the team has announced that Artifact Classic is now free to play, meaning that everyone will be able to play it.
As Valve stated:
“It’s now been about a year and a half since the current Artifact team began work on a reboot in earnest. While we’re reasonably satisfied we accomplished most of our game-side goals, we haven’t managed to get the active player numbers to a level that justifies further development at this time. As such, we’ve made the tough decision to stop development on the Artifact 2.0 Beta.”
Here are also the final changes that Valve made to Artifact Classic.
- The game is free for everyone to play.
- All players get every card for free. You will no longer be able to buy card packs.
- Paid players’ existing cards have been converted into special Collector’s Edition versions, which will remain marketable. Marketplace integration has been removed from the game.
- Paid event tickets have been removed.
- Customers who paid for the game will still earn packs of Collector’s Edition cards for playing; players who got the game for free will not.
You can download and start playing Artifact from its official Steam store page.