It appears that the source code for a lot of classic Nintendo games have been leaked online. Due to a data breach, hackers were able to leak the source codes for Star Fox, Yoshi’s Island, Super Mario RPG, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and more.
As always, we won’t allow links to direct roms or to the source codes of the following games. From what we know so far, the source codes for the following games have been leaked online.
- Master ROM of Super Mario RPG
- Source code to Star Fox
- Star Fox 2 source code
- Source code to Link’s Awakening DX
- Link’s Awakening DX bug reports
- Source code to Wild Trax / Stunt Race FX
- Yoshi’s Island source code
- Source code to Mario Kart
- F-Zero source code
- Source code to TLOZ A Link to the Past
- TLOZ A Link to the Past dev stuff & bug reports
- Source code to Super Mario All-Stars (including Mario World?)
- Source code to the Wii VC Game Boy Emulator
- Some weird prototype game (“super_donkey”, from early 1993 – Yoshi’s Island style)
- Super Mario Kart prototype(s)
- “WallPaperPasswordMaker” source code
- Random test program source code
- Seven early 1990s tape backups
- Several Super Mario World 2 prototypes – “Super Mario Bros 5: Yoshi’s Island”
What this means is that modders will be able to create PC native versions for these games. Ironically, the source code for Doom SNES was also released last week.
Speaking of SNES games, I’d love to see a remaster of Jurassic Park. Back in 2017, released a PC prototype of the first-person interiors from Jurassic Park on the SNES. This is a really cool remaster project and while it does not recreate the entire game, I strongly suggest downloading it!