Christmas is almost upon us and a team of mappers has released a new pack that adds 21 new maps to id Software’s classic shooter, Quake. From the looks of it, this pack does not add any new weapons or monsters; it features everything that was present in the original Quake.
dumptruck_ds recommends using the Quakespasm or Mark V engines in order to play this pack (obviously you’ll also need the original Quake wad). Those interested in the classic, pixelated visuals can use the console command “gl_texturemode 3”.
Needless to say that this is a great Christmas gift to all Quake fans out there. And while it’s not created by John Romero to attract more headlines, I believe the creators of this pack did an excellent work.
Those interested can download the pack from here and below you can find an installation guide.
- Create a new folder called “xmasjam2018” in your Quake folder
- Copy the Zip file into the new folder
- Extract the contents of the zip file
- Create a shortcut to your preferred Quake engine
- Add the following to the command line
- Run the shortcut (click icon) and make sure the engine loads
- Use the Quake menu’s to start singleplayer and pick a new game
- After the start map has loaded pick your skill level and choose a map
- The start map keeps track of your progress if you use the savegame system