Valve has released a brand new update for Portal 2 that adds support for the Vulkan API. According to the team, the Vulkan render backend is currently accessible exclusively through the “-vulkan” command line parameter. In other words, there isn’t any in-game setting for it.
As said, this latest update also resolves a number of bugs and glitches. For instance, it fixes a memory leak that could occur when changing levels. It also fixes a bug where you could no longer ping/taunt via mouse/keyboard if you have ever used a controller.
As always, Steam will download this update the next time you launch its client. Below you can also find its complete changelog.
Portal 2 February 18th Patch Notes
- Implemented a Vulkan render backend (currently accessible through the -vulkan command line parameter).
- Improved compile time for Perpetual Training Initiative puzzles.
- Improved advanced video settings descriptions.
- Made the game Hi-DPI aware.
- Smarter default video settings.
- Improved resolution of player avatars throughout the game.
- Players can now be invited to play co-op on controller.
- Button text contrast and padding has been improved when using a controller.
- Implemented a 360° Spin action.
- The portalgun is now correctly affected by dynamic lights (projected textures) in the scene.
- Improved client-side prediction for coop play.
- Added the ability for workshop levels to pack particles into their map with a particles/map_manifest.txt
- Misc. rendering optimizations.
- Added an icon to the game on Linux.
- Removed the “Trading Coming Soon” button.
- Fixed a crash on startup that could happen on Linux.
- Fixed a crash that could occur in some community test chambers using BEEMod on Linux.
- Also fixed the credits being corrupted on Linux.
- Fixed the intro videos for acts 2 and 3 not playing on Linux.
- Fixed the game starting in the top left corner of the screen on Linux.
- Also fixed a crash in the PeTI if you placed a light strip above a laser catcher on the floor and linked it to a fizzler.
- Fixed the fizzler not playing the retract animation when turned off in new PeTI maps.
- Fixed being able to copy ‘uncopyable’ items in the PeTI leading to invalid/broken levels.
- Also fixed some items in PeTI not maintaining their portalability state when expanding the chamber boundaries.
- Fixed a crash if PeTI avatars could not be retrieved.
- Fixed Cave Johnson’s lines not progressing when playing queued workshop levels.
- Also fixed a memory leak that could occur when changing levels.
- Fixed a bug where you could no longer ping/taunt via mouse/keyboard if you have ever used a controller.
- Fixed the ping menu being visible when quick pinging on controller.
- Also fixed the game instructor not respecting input types for respective players in split-screen mode.
- Fixed rumble not being respected for respective players in split-screen mode.
- Fixed the wrong avatar being used if playing coop after playing a workshop level.
- Also fixed the OnFiredPortal2 output not firing.
- Fixed some text being duplicated on the screen multiple times.