Transhuman Design has released a free demo for its side-scrolling 2D retro shooter, Butcher. This demo features three new levels that have been added to the game, enhancing its beginning. All three levels happen on the Mothership and take place just before the game intro.
Butcher is described as a fast-paced 2D shooter and a blood-soaked love letter to the cult classics of the genre, in which players take the role of a cyborg programmed to eradicate the last remains of humanity. Players are tasked with grabbing their weapon of choice (from chainsaw, through shotgun, to grenade launcher) so they can kill their way through underground hideouts, post-apocalyptic cities, jungles and more.
Those interested can download its demo from here, and below you can find its key features:
- Ultra-violent uncompromising carnage in the spirit of Doom and Quake (chainsaw included)
- Skill-based gameplay mechanics
- Release your inner artist, paint the walls with (permanent) blood (up to 4 million pixels available to be painted per level)
- Use the environment (saws, hooks, lava pits, animals and other) to brutally dispose of your enemies
- Choose from an array of weapons (featuring classics like chainsaw, railgun and the deadly grenade launcher)
- Adorn more than 20 levels with the insides of your enemies
- Soak in the dark atmosphere reinforced by a wicked, heavy soundtrack (while you kick corpses around)
- Die painfully: melt in lava, become piranha food, get crushed by heavy doors… and more