Turtle Rock Studios has just announced that Evolve will turn into a free-to-play title. The team has removed Evolve from Steam and will make it free on PC as a Beta starting on July 7th. The team also promises to keep improving the game with regular updates.
Here is what Turtle Rock Studios had to say about the game’s free beta phase:
“We’re going to make Evolve free on PC as a Beta starting on July 7. This is going to allow us to hit our new server infrastructure really hard and we need your help testing. Stuff could break, and that’s our hope, because that will give us time to improve things as we go. We’ll parse out major Beta revisions, updates and features over a period of weeks and months — a plan we’re going to continually communicate here. This allows us to test new features and major changes to make our game more accessible and ever closer to the joy we saw when we first showed our baby to the world. Just as importantly, this Beta plan gives us the flexibility and time we need to keep fixing bugs and making Evolve more stable.”
Turtle Rock Studios is currently working on:
- Reworking the hunter classes to make the team less reliant on having experienced trappers and medics.
- Improvements to the maps and UI.
- Improving load times, overall performance, and getting you into the game faster.
- Focusing on improving stability and fixing bugs.
- Completely reworking our progression system and tutorials.
- Adding more customization options.
Those who have purchased Evolve will be given “Founder” status in the new free version, and all the content they already own comes with them to the new version. In addition, Turtle Rock Studios will offer gifts, rewards, and special access to those who have purchased Evolve.