Firaxis Games released today a new PC update for their latest turn-based strategy game, Civilization V. This update improves the enemy AI and rebalances the game to make higher difficulty levels more challenging. Furthermore, this update included improvements to the game’s multiplayer mode, as well as to the game’s UI and Diplomacy. We should note that your existing saves will work correctly, so there is no reason to worry about losing your game’s progress. This update is available through Steam and will be auto-downloaded next time you start your Steam client. The changelog is huge, so take a deep breath before reading it.
* Pacing has received a large amount of work. Expect to have
more of a challenge managing your empire at higher difficulty levels than you
did before. Consider dropping a difficulty level if you have problems.
Existing saves will work correctly. However, the balance pass may make your
existing happiness lower than expected when loading into your existing save
* Civilopedia now available in the Main Menu
* Replay is now available at the end of the game, and through
the main menu. You can choose Map, Graphs, and turn-by-turn. Only games played
post-patch will apply.
* Great People progress UI addition (upper-left Info
* Combat preview for Aircraft UI addition.
* Fixed aircraft UI
issue causing the aircraft selection UI to duplicate itself when rebasing
* When loading save game files, you can now order the list by name,
or last modified.
* Fix aircraft UI bug that was causing Nuclear Missiles and
Atomic Bombers to leave behind container UI after it’s destroyed.
dead players from Demographics UI. [DIPLOMACY]
* Made backstab
routine more transparent (the dialog will clearly state that they are
* AI now remembers when it has been nuked, for a permanent
* AI now recognizes a player that captured their capital
for a permanent diplomatic penalty.
* End declaration of friendship as soon
as war is declared (so can’t later get a notification that it has expired).
AI remembers if you satisfied one of their requests (positive modifier, decays
over time, based on value of items granted).
* AI remembers if you fought
against a common foe (positive modifier, decays over time, based on damage done
to the common foe).
* Track trades between players and allow that to
positively influence relationships (the better the deal for the AI, the stronger
the modifier). Particularly useful for bribing a hostile AI. [AI]
Rebalanced AI flavors and strategies for unit training to improve AI army
composition and build choices.
* Allow the AI to consider Pikeman units for
offensive roles when they can’t build Swordsman or Longswordsman.
Alexander and Darius to consider Hoplites and Immortals for offensive roles in
* AI players may now use a Great General in early rushes on
* Modified flavor tags for Atomic Bomb and Nuclear
Missile so AI builds them only when it decides it specifically wants Nukes.
Block City States from building carriers, atomic weapons.
* Strategies for
building mobile units now persist into Modern era to help AI decisions for when
to build tanks and modern armor.
* Dampen early game Grand Strategies to give
the AI time to expand (AI were sometimes stuck in a single city until late in
* Victory adjustments to AI behaviors, including alternate victory
paths as “back-ups” (for example, building the Apollo Program, even if they are
not going for a Spaceship victory).
* Revise code calculating recommended
army size (using smaller armies if the threat is low).
* Correct issue that
was causing late-game continent-bound AI’s to over-build units intending to
invade, and never properly execute the amphibious invasion.
recommended army sizes based on difficulty level.
* AI grand strategy and
flavor weighting balance pass.
* AI policy choice weighting balance
* AI tech choice weighting balance pass. [GAMEPLAY]
Player is now given the option to return a CS worker that they free from
* Roads under captured cities no longer charge maintenance.
Machu Picchu no longer destroyed when capturing a city containing Machu
* Fixed Oligarchy bug that was causing the effect to expire when
loading from a save. [MULTIPLAYER]
* Multiplayer AI is now
consistent with Single Player AI.
* Hot-Seat is now available through the
o You can have as many humans playing as available slots in
o Password protection is built in.
o All maps, including
purchased and user-created, are available to play in Hot-Seat.
play-by-email is not yet implemented, we did include an in-between turn saving
option for those that want to play via
* Policy “Finishers” added to all 10
policy trees. Taking all policies in a tree will grant an additional bonus
effect. See policy notes below for more information.
* Tweaked Policy cost
formula (cheaper earlier, more expensive later).
* Reduced per-city Policy
cost increase by 50%.
* Culture from City States tweaked (less early, more
* Killing a barbarian for a city state now gives 12 influence (was
* Production cost adjustments for units/buildings/wonders (mostly a
little cheaper, much cheaper late game).
* Unhappiness per city increased to
3 from 2.
* All great person tile improvements now connect all strategic
* Reduced Culture from Goody Huts to 20 from 30.
penalty and city assault bonus promotions are now lost with upgrade.
Research agreements now give a tech boost instead of a free tech. Tech boosts
start at 50% of the median value of all techs you can research. Can be boosted
to 100% if you both start Rationalism and build the Porcelain Tower.
Resources, and Improvements
* New bonus resource: Stone (+1 production,
improved with a Quarry). See the Stone Works building note below for additional
* Map generation improvements to integrate Stone into
production-poor terrain, reducing the temporary usage of Cows. Additionally,
will switch grass bonus resources from Cows to Stone when production is
* Marsh and Fallout terrain penalty reduced from -33 to -15.
Academy yield increases with Scientific Theory.
* Customs House yield
increases with Economics.
* Manufactory yield increases with Chemistry.
Marble wonder production mod reduced to 15%.
* Luxury resources now give 4
Happiness, down from 5.
* Remove penalty for improving Tundra, Snow and
* Railroad improvement now takes 3 turns, down from 7.
Fallout now takes 2 turns, down from 5.
* Repair improvement now takes 2
turns, down from 3.
* Well improvements now remove
* New building: Stone Works: +1 Happiness
and +1 production, and +1 production for each source of Marble and Stone worked.
Requires Marble or Stone.
* Burial Tomb now correctly has an Artist
* Mud Pyramid Mosque reduced 1 Culture.
* Circus moved to
* Forge maintenance reduced 1 gold.
* Windmill production
modifier reduced 5% to 10%.
* Monastery base Culture reduced from 3 to 2. Per
resource Culture unchanged.
* Mint gold per resource reduced by 1 gold.
Colosseum maintenance reduced by 1 gold, Happiness reduced by 1.
maintenance reduced by 1 gold, Happiness reduced by 1.
* Stadium maintenance
reduced by 1 gold, Happiness reduced by 1.
* Broadcast tower cultural
modifier reduced to 33% but now gives 3 Culture.
* Armory maintenance reduced
by 1 gold and moved to Machinery.
* Military academy maintenance reduced by 2
* Arsenal moved to rifling and now provides city defense instead of
* Walls now gives 4 Defense (was 5).
* Walls of Bablylon
now give 6 Defense (was 7.5).
* Mughal Fort now gives 6 Defense (was 9).
Castle now gives 4 Defense (was 7.5).
* University maintenance reduced by 1
gold and now gives a 33% boost to science instead of 50% (will increase to 50%
after adopting Free Thought Policy).
* Military Academy now requires Armory
instead of Barracks.
* Arsenal now requires Castle instead of Military
* Military Base now requires Arsenal.
* Wat now requires
* Mud Pyramid Mosque now requires Monument.
* Harbor naval
production reduced 10% but now increases sea resources yield by 1 hammer.
Seaports no longer require a sea resource, they now require a Harbor. Production
per sea resource reduced by 1 hammer.
* Factory production increased by 1
hammer but modifier decreased to 10%.
* Solar/Nuclear plant cost greatly
* Solar/Nuclear plant production increased by 1 hammer but modifier
decreased to 15%.
* Public School science per population reduced by 50% and
now provides a flat 3 science.
* Research Laboratory modifier reduced by 50%
but now gives a flat 4 science.
* Workshop production modifier reduced by
* Barracks, Armory, Military Academy and Krepost now provide experience
to all units trained.
* National College moved to Philosophy and
reduced by 2 science.
* Oxford University now gives 3 additional
* Great Lighthouse now also provides a free Lighthouse in the city
where it was built.
* Great library now gives 3 additional science, and
provides a free Library in the city where it was built.
* Porcelain tower now
additionally increases the Science granted when completing Research Agreements
* Hermitage moved to Acoustics and much cheaper to build. Now
requires Opera Houses but gives only a 50% boost to Culture.
Culture reduced to 6 from 8.
* Pyramids worker speed increase reduced to 25%
from 50% but now give a free Worker when built
* Hanging Gardens now give 10
Food instead of 1 population per city and Happiness.
* Great Wall now
obsoletes with Dynamite instead of metallurgy and gives 3 Culture. Additionally,
a free Wall is provided in the city where it was built.
* Hagia Sophia great
person modifier reduced to 25% from 34%, and gives a free Great Person of your
* Eiffel Tower now give 5 Happiness plus 1 for every 2 Policies
* Chichen Itza now grants an additional 4 Happiness.
Picchu trade route gold increased by 5% and also gives a flat 5 gold.
Colossus now gives an additional 5 gold.
* Notre Dame now gives 10 Happiness,
up from 5, and 3 Culture.
* Sistine Chapel Culture modifier reduced from 33%
* Kremlin global city defense mod reduced to 25% from 50% but now
gives 12 defense in the city where it’s built.
* Cristo Redentor Policy
discount reduced from 25% to 10% but now gives 4 Culture.
* Pentagon upgrade
cost reduced to 33% from 50% but now gives 3 Culture.
* Sydney Opera House
moved to Mass Media and gives 50% Culture in the city where it’s built plus 4
* Big Ben hurry modifier reduced to 15% from 25% but now gives a
flat 4 gold.
* Himeji bonus reduced to 15% from 25%, and provides a free
Castle in the city where it was built.
* Forbidden Palace now provides -10%
unhappiness from Citizens in non-occupied Cities.
* Arabia: Bazaar now gives 2 gold on oil/oasis.
Remove river start bias.
* America: Increase plot buy modifier to 50% from
* China: Great General trait reduced to 50% from 100%.
Great Scientist trait reduced to 50% from 100%.
* Germany: Now receives a 25%
discount on land unit maintenance.
* Ottoman: Now receives a 67% discount on
naval unit maintenance, and can upgrade Galley’s to Trireme’s.
Liberty and Autocracy are no longer mutually exclusive.
* Freedom, Autocracy
and Order are now mutually exclusive.
o Aristocracy now
provides +15% Production when building Wonders down from 20%.
o Landed Elite
now provides 1 Happiness at every 10 Citizens in each City.
Finisher: +15% Growth and +2 Food in each city.
+1 Happiness for each city connected to your capital, and -5% Unhappiness from
citizens in non-occupied cities.
o Republic now adds an additional 5%
building production modifier.
o Liberty Finisher: Great Person of your
o Honor Opener now additionally provides Culture for each
o Warrior Code now also gives 15% melee unit
o Military Caste now provides +1 Happiness and +2 Culture for
each city with a garrison.
o Professional Army now reduces cost of upgrading
units by 33% and provides +1 Happiness per defensive building (Walls, Castle,
Arsenal, Military base).
o Honor Finisher: Grants gold for each enemy unit
o Piety Opener now provides a 15% production bonus on
o Free Religion now provides only 1 free Policy but
increases the Culture from Monuments, Temples and Monasteries by 1.
Organized Religion now gives 1 Happiness per Monument, Temple and
o Reformation now increases Culture in all cities with a Wonder by
33%, and starts a Golden Age.
o Theocracy now increase gold yield by 10% in
cities with a Temple.
o Piety Finisher: -10% Culture cost of future
o Scholasticism reduced from 33% to 25%
Patronage Finisher: Causes other players’ influence with City States to decrease
33% more per turn than usual.
o Naval Tradition policy now also
gives +1 moves to embarked units.
o Commerce Finisher: +1 Gold per
o Rationalist Opener now increases the Science
granted when completing Research Agreements by 50%. Stacks with Porcelain
o Free Thought now also increases University science yield by 17%
Humanism now also affects Public Schools and Observatories.
Finisher: +1 Gold from Science buildings.
o Freedom Opener now
provides 25% Great Person Points in all cities.
o Democracy now provides -50%
Unhappiness per Specialist.
o Constitution now provides +2 Culture per
o Free Speech now provides 8 maintenance free units.
Finisher: +100% yield from Great Tile Improvements and increase length of Golden
Ages by 50%.
o Police State now provides 3 Happiness per
Courthouse, and reduces the time it take to build Courthouses by 50%.
War now provides +15% Production when building Military Units and +15 XP for new
o Autocracy Finisher: 30 turn attack bonus of +20%.
Order Opener now provides +1 Happiness per City.
o Socialism and Planned
Economy swapped places.
o Socialism buff to 15% reduction in building
maintenance from 10%.
o Planned Economy now increases Science yield by 25% in
cities with a Factory.
o Communism now provides 2 Production and 10%
Production towards buildings in each city.
o Order Finisher: +1
Food/Production/Science/Gold/Culture per city.
* United Front – Militaristic
City States now grant units twice as often when you are at war with a common
* Reduced cost of Calendar, Civil Service, Iron Working,
Gunpowder, Rifling and Dynamite.
* Scaled up costs of all sciences starting
in the mid-renaissance era and on (larger increases later on).
Working requires Construction.
* Railroad now requires Dynamite.
now requires Combustion.
* Globalization requires Computers, and the cost is
* Computers require Radar.
* Particle Physics no longer
requires Globalization (Space victory now possible without overlapping
* Future Tech requires Globalization.
Aesthetics: moved Dynamite and all future technologies around by 1 position for
* Destroyers no longer start with extra
* Extra Sight promotions are now lost with upgrade (Caravel).
Great General promotion spawning effectiveness reduced by 50%.
Jungle/Forest bonus reduced to 25% from 50%.
* Gunship anti-armor promotions
now work correctly.
* Jaguar now gets Woodsman promotion.
* Minuteman now
start with Drill I.
* Mohawk Warriors no longer require Iron.
no longer require Oil.
* Destroyer moved to Combustion.
infantry moves reduced from 4 to 3.
* Galley now upgrades to Trireme.
Ironclad now upgrades to Battleship.
* +1 moves for Tank, Panzer, Modern
Armor, with no sight penalty.
* Increased combat strength of siege weapons to
50% of their ranged strength, increased intrinsic city attack promotions
(10%/30% -> 20%/50%).
* Increased Incan slinger combat strength
* Increased Crossbowman and Chu-Ko-Nu combat and ranged
* Decreased Longswordsman, Fighter, Bomber, Guided Missile, Jet
Fighter and corresponding UUs strength.
* Removed Mandekalu Cavalry city
attack bonus promotion (but still has no penalty).
* Reduced Tank, Panzer,
Modern Armor to lower tier city attack penalty (-25%, instead of -33%).
Aztec Culture from kills now stacks with new Honor Policy branch opener for
double Culture killing barbarians.
* Boosted Chariot Archer to strength 4 and
ranged 7 (Egypt War Chariot as well).
* Drop combat value of Berserker and
Huscarl to match Longswordsman. [MODDING]
* Fixed a bug in Lua
where “Events..Remove” was not behaving correctly.
* (Lua) Added
GameEvents.CityCanBuyAnyPlot(ownerID, cityID) (TestAll)
* (Lua) Added
GameEvents.CityCanBuyPlot(ownerID, cityID, plotX, plotY) (TestAll)
Added GameEvents.CityCanCreate(ownerID, cityID, projectTypeID); (TestAll)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.CityCanMaintain(ownerID, cityID, processTypeID);
* (Lua) Added GameEvents.CityCanPrepare(ownerID, cityID,
* (Lua) Added GameEvents.CityCanTrain(ownerID,
cityID, unitTypeID); (TestAll)
* (Lua) Added
GameEvents.PlayerAdoptPolicy(playerID, policyTypeID); (Hook)
* (Lua) Added
GameEvents.PlayerAdoptPolicyBranch(playerID, policyBranchTypeID); (Hook)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.PlayerCanAdoptPolicy(playerID, policyTypeID);
* (Lua) Added GameEvents.PlayerCanAdoptPolicyBranch(playerID,
* (Lua) Added
GameEvents.PlayerCanConstruct(playerID, buildingTypeID); (TestAll)
Added GameEvents.PlayerCanCreate(playerID, projectTypeID); (TestAll)
Added GameEvents.PlayerCanEverReseearch(playerID, techtypeID); (TestAll)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.PlayerCanMaintain(playerID, processTypeID);
* (Lua) Added GameEvents.PlayerCanPrepare(playerID,
* (Lua) Added
GameEvents.PlayerCanResearch(playerID, techTypeID); (TestAll)
* (Lua) Added
GameEvents.PlayerCanTrain(playerID, unitTypeID); (TestAll)
* (Lua) Added
GameEvents.TeamSetHasTech(teamID, techID); (Hook)
* It’s now possible to have
the tech tree “dead end” where the final technology is not repeatable.
graph datasets used by the replay viewer can be added by mods.
* Action Icons
now use the database in the same way as other icons instead of using
John is the founder and Editor in Chief at DSOGaming. He is a PC gaming fan and highly supports the modding and indie communities. Before creating DSOGaming, John worked on numerous gaming websites. While he is a die-hard PC gamer, his gaming roots can be found on consoles. John loved - and still does - the 16-bit consoles, and considers SNES to be one of the best consoles. Still, the PC platform won him over consoles. That was mainly due to 3DFX and its iconic dedicated 3D accelerator graphics card, Voodoo 2. John has also written a higher degree thesis on the "The Evolution of PC graphics cards."