Vortal Storm has announced that its Half-Life 2 RTS Total Conversion Mod, Lambda Wars, has left its beta phase and has been officially released. Naturally, Lambda Wars – like most TC mods for HL2 – is a free standalone Source Engine modification.
This mod brings the war between mankind and their brutal Combine overlords to a traditional real-time strategy (RTS) setting. Players will lead the uprising as a commander of the Resistance or crush the rebellion as an overlord of the Combine. Both factions feature a full host of units, abilities, buildings, research and defenses. Furthermore, the mod features full-fledged RTS gameplay and a robust RTS interface.
You can download the mod from here. Below you can also find its key features.
- Classic real-time strategy (RTS) gameplay in the Half-Life 2 world
- Multiplayer support and game lobby including spectator mode
- Wide variety of maps for up to 8 human or AI players
- Play as either Combine or Resistance (and also Antlions in Sandbox mode)
- Full unit tech tree that allows you to command everything from Manhacks to Striders
- Full-fledged RTS interface and HUD with everything from minimap and fog of war to unit and production building groups
- Build production and research facilities to requisition better units and unlock abilities and upgrades
- Defensive structures, turrets and mines help defend your headquarters and vital resource points
- Multiple game modes
- Singleplayer missions, tutorial map and offline AI skirmish mode