Our dear friends over at PCGames.de interviewed Tango Gameworks’ Shinji Mikami, and revealed some new information about this upcoming horror title. According to Mikami, the game’s main character, detective Sebastian Castellanos, will will have a strong personality; strong enough to deal with everything that is going on around him. Mikami stated that he’s not a fan of characters that scream, runaway and lose their minds, and that’s precisely why Sebastian will be so strong.
The Evil Within will feature an ‘automated alert feature’. Sebastian will go into an alerted state when there are enemies nearby. On his own he will go down into a crouch-like position. When Sebastian is alone again, he will go back into his normal stance.
Similar to Resident Evil, The Evil Within will have a different title in Japan. Therefore, the game will be called ‘Psycho Break’. According to the translated text, provided by The Evil Within’s forum member ‘hess’, Psycho Break was chosen because it was easier for the Japanese to pronounce it.
“He (Mikami) chose the first word ‘psycho’ because of the connection that word has to all of the psychological elements to the game. The reasoning behind the word ‘break’ is because the protagonist is overcoming horrible things, he is breaking through. Shinji didn´t give a reason for how the ‘the Evil Within’ name”
Naturally, lighting will be crucial in this horror title, though Mikami did not want to reveal much. He hinted though that there will be scenes where the lantern will go out during ‘bad times’. Moreover, there will be moments where characters (Sebastian and his partner, Julie) will have to work together in order to defeat enemies.
Last but not least, here are some additional details from the aforementioned interview.
– There´s practically no interface. Word labels for objects fade in and out when you get close to them.
– There are not many sound effects and not much music. – Shinji did say that in regards to sound, it will be used to signal events and information. He also said how there will be enemies that we won´t be able to see but we will be able to hear them (I think this is like when you hear the Tank in L4D but you don´t know where it is).
– There is not much colour in this game
– One of the traps you can use is a Nail Bomb. The reporter said that you can set them behind doors and underneath windows.
– The game has a circular style menu for the inventory and weapons. You can also quick select items that have been assigned to the d-pad on the controller.
– The camera will focus in a little bit over the shoulder when you are aiming with your gun.
– The game is designed to be in cinematic widescreen and so, when you have the game set in normal 16:9 ratio, black bars will appear on the screen.
The Evil Within is currently planned for a 2014 release on PC, X360 and PS3!