Cloud Imperium announced that it will make Star Citizen Alpha 3.5 free to download and play for any player to celebrate the launch of Star Citizen’s city-covered planet, ArcCorp, later today. First revealed at CitizenCon 2017, ArcCorp is a massive planet almost entirely covered in man-made structures.
Players on ArcCorp will travel the bustling plazas and neon-hued alleys of Area18 (the planet’s main landing zone), uncover local urban culture, meet colorful locals, and find new ways to make in-game credits.
To celebrate, Cloud Imperium Games will launch a “Free Fly” event encompassing five ships that bring the Star Citizen experience to life. During the promotion, it will be free for anyone to join the Star Citizen Persistent Universe and play across Star Citizen’s more than 30 varying mission types, 10 traversable moons, several “rest stops” and more.
Star Citizen Alpha 3.5 includes numerous features new to Star Citizen, including:
- Playable Female Characters – at long last, Star Citizen adds playable female characters. Implementing playable females meant re-working nearly every interactable object in the game for use with an additional player model, from seating to carrying to shooting and piloting.
- ArcCorp – a sprawling urban planet covered by city space, ArcCorp features the new Area 18 Landing Zone, where players will find a neon lit cityscape teeming with life.
- New Flight Model – an all new in-game flight control system that applies to all ships in Star Citizen, incorporating a total overhaul to the entire flight experience and adds gravity to in-atmosphere planetary bodies. This New Flight Model is also applied to all AI controlled pilots in Star Citizen.
- CIG Character Customization Technology – An updated system for customizing your player character in the Persistent Universe, which includes new customization technology empowering players to select from up to three source heads and blend each of their various facial features into a fully customized character. This replaces Star Citizen’s previous 100-plus character permutations with a near-infinite pool of character customizations that is used for both player and NPC characters. All customizations are available for both male and the all-new female player character selections.
- FoIP + VoIP Improvements – New video streaming technology which allows players to participate in video comms calls no matter how far away they are in the Persistent Universe. Previously, as other players were “streamed out” from server clients, they would no longer be eligible as targets for a comms call. This update enables players to call anyone in the Star Citizen Persistent Universe through tech that evaluates your client and streams to the other party’s client as video data.
- New Environmental AI Bounty Hunting – AI bounty hunters will now attack players with bounties placed on their heads, and AI security forces will attack players with high crime stats.
Anyone who plays Star Citizen between May 1st and May 8th will have access to the following five ships:
- Anvil Arrow – Featuring an ultra-aerodynamic frame, slight profile, and the most advanced maneuvering thruster tech available, the Arrow shines in Alpha 3.5’s new flight atmospheric flight model. It’s the most agile ship in its class, and can hold its own in a knock-down-drag-out dogfight with quad missile racks and a full complement of countermeasures.
- MISC Prospector – equipped with a mining laser, the Prospector is Star Citizen’s starter mining ship.
- Drake Cutlass Black – this ship packs real firepower with both piloted guns as well as a manned turret. It is flown by multiple crew members to haul and protect cargo. This is one of our most popular ships for both new and returning players.
- Aegis Avenger Titan – one of our cargo ships, the Titan is a light cargo hauler version of the Avenger specifically kitted out to deliver payloads across the ‘Verse.
- Drake Dragonfly – a two seater hoverbike, the Dragonfly is equipped with a laser cannon and is one of the best ways to navigate surface-side in Star Citizen. The Dragonfly can fit easily in the cargo hold of multiple ships, giving players an on-the-ground option after landing.