Croteam has released a brand new “Halloween” update for Serious Sam 4. According to the release notes, this patch adds some new content related to Halloween. Moreover, it improves animations (during cut-scenes), performance and stability.
Going into more details, this patch lets you pick up a special Jack ‘o Lantern in Death from Below, and behold as everything goes dark and new forces prey upon you. It also brings further optimizations on SSAO quality and performance. Not only that, but it fixes a rare crash caused by an empty gadget slot in the weapon wheel, as well as a crash occurring when the player has the weapon bar active during level change.
As always, Steam will download this update the next time you launch its client. Below you can also find its complete changelog. Oh, and be also sure to check out our PC Review and PC Performance Analysis for this first-person shooter.
Serious Sam 4 Update 1.05 Release Notes
- [STEAM ONLY] Halloween! Halloween! Halloween! Halloween! Pick up a special Jack ‘o Lantern in Death from Below, and behold as everything goes dark and new forces prey upon you. Too scared? Turn off seasonal content in the Game Options menu.
- You can now use 5 new multiplayer characters (Dancing Denzel, Groovy Gregory, Pirate Pete, Boxer Barry, and Meatless Mike) in your co-op adventures. AND THEY ALL HAVE THEIR OWN HANDS IN FIRST PERSON VIEW. Unexpected, right?
- It’s Halloween, after all, so go dress up as your favorite Multiplayer character IN SINGLEPLAYER!
- You can now customize your games even further thanks to a new custom difficulty setting which balances the multiplier for higher health enemies.
- The Enemy Multiplayer option can now be set “per-player” for those of you who find joy in being absolutely destroyed in-game.
- We have updated the SS4 Soundtrack. Owners now get MP3, AAC, and FLAC versions.
Performance and stability:
- Further optimizations on SSAO quality and performance.
- Fixed a rare crash caused by an empty gadget slot in the weapon wheel.
- Fixed a crash occurring when the player has the weapon bar active during level change.
- Per request, ammo amounts are now multiplied for all game modes, not just Single Player.
- Witch brides are no longer multiplied. Ever.
- Lava elementals now have a name in damage dealt recap when they hurt the player.
- Netricsa entries should now get removed when skipping Man vs Beast in co-op, as intended.
- The “death screen” will now show the amount of damage Lord Achriman dealt to your now deceased body.
- You will no longer be able to use weapons while parachuting during the Ugh-Zan battle by using your filthy quick save / quick load glitch. Naughty, naughty.
- Enemy multiplier now works even after you complete the level. Go nuts!
- The weapon wheel now shows the number of available uses for every available gadget.
- Fixed a bug where players would keep weapons that were taken away on chapter if the client joined after chapter that took away weapons was started. You got to earn your stuff, nothing is free.
- You can no longer mount combat drones. You’ve had your fun. It’s time we put a stop to it. We hate fun.
- Fixed a bug where the client wouldn’t open Netricsa if picking up a gadget that host already had, or opening Netricsa multiple times when picking the same gadget if the host didn’t pick it before.
- Fixed an issue where real-time clock would not show up when enabled (via cvar).
- Fixed issue in TP where players projectiles would go in strange directions when enemies and NPCs are just in front of the player.
- Fixed an issue with the unlockable door in Vive La Resistance. The door will now unlock even if you finish all side missions and find all secrets. On the positive side, we know what to put on our vault now. That door is impenetrable.
- Clients should now see the Time Warp effect when playing co-op.
- Muzzle flashes will now be visible when Deagles are dual-wielded.
- Gadget targeting trajectory and the highlighted area is no longer visible during a cutscene.
- The notorious T-Pose Knight is a goner. All hail the new and sexy not t-posing Knight.
- Fixed issues with the terrain disappearing on the Citadel level. It was a trap, but you didn’t fall for it so we had to fix it.
- Various visual improvements on prebaked lighting. No levels will be pink from now on.
- The Mummy will now act die a more dramatic death when you kill it. Almost as if it went to acting school.
- Fixed a bunch of visibility and visual issues reported by my man Harry Poster. Thanks, brother! You’re a superstar.
- Various improvements of animations across several cutscenes.