Gamepires has released a new major update for its multiplayer open world survival game, SCUM. According to the release notes, the Maneater update adds female characters. Right now there are only 3 head variants to choose from, however – and similarly to the male prisoners who have a penis slider – the female prisoners have a breast slider.
Gamepires has also optimized the game. Players will be able to notice the FPS boost in bigger cities and FPS drops should be minimal from now on, as hundreds of objects are being much better processed and loaded than before. Players with slower CPUs and better GPUs should feel the biggest difference.
Furthermore, the team has overhauled the game’s inventory system and has implemented base building. The first iteration of base building will allow players to build their own bases with simple defenses and some functional items.
It’s also worth noting that a new missions system has been added. The game now has some tutorial missions so that the newcomers to the survival genre can learn the ropes, and the team plans to add different types of missions with various requirements in the near future.
As always, Steam will download this patch the next time you launch its client, and you can find its complete changelog below.
SCUM Maneater Patch Release Notes
You were loud and we listened! Today you get the first iteration of female characters in SCUM! Please keep in mind that this is just the first iteration and we’ll keep working on them as we go! Here are some points you should also be aware of:
- Just like our male prisoners have a penis slider, our female prisoners have a breast slider. It works the same way for both.
- At the moment there are still no tattoos on our ladies! Don’t panic, though, because we’re adding them ASAP, time wasn’t on our side and we had to prioritize!
- For now you get 3 head variants to choose from!
- There are also some really neat things we’d like you to discover by yourself!
We worked hard in this department as well and here is what we did:
- After tons of server and client profiling we managed to find the biggest lag producers and FPS killers.
- You will be able to notice the FPS boost in bigger cities and FPS drops should be minimal from now on, as hundreds of objects are being much better processed and loaded than before. Players with slower CPUs and better GPUs should feel the biggest difference.
- We took care of random freezes as we improved our streaming, so when you go to another sector or you’re just entering a city, it should be much smoother.
- Item Virtualization 2.0! The biggest ping producers were items on the server, as they were handled poorly and they have been impacting the server even if they were idle. Now with the inventory rework, we highly recommend that you store your items into chests and other containers. The server you play on will be thankful.
- Object replication! Our testing has shown a 400% FPS increase on the servers and that should result in minimum lag and enjoyable playing sessions with 64 players!
The first iteration of base building will allow you to build your own bases with simple defenses and some functional items. In the following weeks, we’ll add many more functional items to build inside your bases, like generators and work benches.
- All doors you build are automatically claimed by you and can’t be claimed by other players.
- You can repair all base elements if you have any tool that can be used for chopping. You also need a percentage of resources required for building the element depending on the missing healthpoints.
- Every base element you build is owned by you. Interactions only available to owners like opening/closing doors, placing locks and destroying elements with a tool are also available to team members.
- For the first iteration we have disabled building in cities, bases, and most inhabited areas as seen on the attached map. With time, we’ll allow more freedom in building, but always keeping the game balance in mind!
Guess what! We have overhauled the inventory system! Most of it was modernizing the system to better acomodate the new inventory-related requirements. That also means that our programming team will have a much easier time implementing things from now on. It also brings massive chest and car inventory related optimizations, as well as a GUI redesign. Without spoiling too much – stay tuned for more inventory-related goodies!
- Thanks to the new UI, you are now able to filter vicinity items: clothing, food, drinks, weapons, tools and medication.
- Each clothing item now has a proper visual representation of how well it keeps heat, how wet it is and the weight limit of the clothing item.
- Unfortunately, due to some unforeseen complications we couldn’t add item stacking and rotation in this patch, but we promise to add it as soon as possible.
- From now you can also repair your vehicles with a tool box. You can repair 10% at time or repair all.
- 10% = 10 Toolbox uses.
Well, you know, it’s hair and beards, and now they can grow, go to school, get married, move out, and then they leave you all alone with an empty nest and a hole in your chest. Okay, not really. They just grow.
- Each head has its own hairstyle.
- It takes about 10 real time hours to grow hair and beard to its max length.
- You can cut your hair/beard by 10% and repeat that until you have the length you want.
- No worries, you can chose to completely cut your hair or beard or both if you want. Bald Vikings are a thing.
We are introducing our new missions system! We’re starting with some tutorial missions so that the newcomers to the survival genre can learn the ropes.
- Tutorial missions can be started by pressing the “Track” button in the journal tab
- We plan to add different types of missions with various requirements in the near future:
- Skill level
- Team missions
- Time limited missions
- NPC missions
- Please don’t forget we’re always open to suggestions, so if you have some, let us know on our forums! We’re always watching!
- Fixed a bug where the player was unable to aim down the sights with M9 while walking.
- Fixed a bug where if you were wearing a hat in first person it wouldn’t render the shadow.
- Fixed a bug where the rain sounds would disappear.
- Fixed a bug where the falling sounds wouldn’t playing in multiplayer.
- Fixed a bug where the player would continue to swim in shallow water.
- Fixed a bug where you would drown while your head was above water.
- Fixed a bug where underwater audio would still play when quitting into main menu.
- Fixed a bug where players could vault over windows that had some kind of barricade
- Cargo drops should no longer fall within bases.
- Players will spawn outside of the bases.
- Log piles now spawn more logs.
- Reduced the spawn rate on Christmas items. Grinches. Every single one of you.
- The bow info will now display in the ‘hands’ and ‘holsters’ section.
- Impact particles now have a better visibility at bigger distances
- We’ve increased the number of vehicles to 64.