Frictional Games has released patch 1.2 for Amnesia Rebirth that adds support for mods. Thanks to this latest update, the game now offers Custom Stories, as well as official modding tools. These will allow players to create everything from slightly modified versions of the base game to full conversions with all new assets.
Custom Stories are user-created modifications (mods) to the base game of Amnesia: Rebirth. They can include all new maps and assets, as well as replace any existing file in the game. Custom Stories can be added to the game directly from the Custom Stories menu on Steam. Alternatively, players can download them from elsewhere and putting them in the Mods folder.
Regarding the modding tools, Amnesia Rebirth offers a LevelEditor and a ModelEditor. The LevelEditor is used to build and modify levels, while the ModelEditor is used to create the entities used in these levels. Modders can open a few levels and entities from the game in these to get an idea of how things work.
As always, Steam will download this latest update the next time you launch its client. Below you can also find its complete changelog.
Amnesia Rebirth Patch 1.2 Release Notes
- Custom Stories can now be selected from the main menu.
- The editors used in the development of Amnesia: Rebirth have been added to the install directory of the game.
- Fear is no longer increased while reading notes.
- Disabling Video Distortion now disables the pulsing tilt and zoom effect while standing in darkness.
- Inventory can now be opened with D-Pad Up on gamepads that don’t have a View/Back button.
- Fixed a major bug where the game would be stuck on a black screen after the intro.
- Fixed a bug where the game would not progress after a major late-game cutscene.
- Also fixed a bug where some memories could not be replayed from the sketchbook.
- Fixed a bug where some objects wouldn’t play sounds while being dragged across the floor.
- Various other bugfixes.