Techland has released the Gut Feeling Update for Dying Light 2 which brings numerous improvements to the game’s dismemberment system. This update arrives just when Dead Island 2 came out, which is kind of funny. In fact, it reminds me of what happened with The Callisto Protocol and Dead Space Remake.
Going into more details, the Gut Feeling Update allows players to cut every very limb in 3 places. Moreover, there are new visualizations of damage done to enemies, and players can rip out a chunk of flesh and leave a hole in the enemy’s body. Techland has also implemented a new hit detection code for improved enemy reactions to being hit with a weapon, as well as an ability to dismember enemies through collisions with environment objects.
As always, Steam will download this patch the next time you launch its client. Below you can also find its complete changelog.
Dying Light 2 Gut Feeling Update Release Notes
Combat Improvements, including Brutality and Physicality
- As the name of the update suggests, in this patch, we focus on the physical combat and brutality that revolves around it. Top up your slay-game, and brutalize both Infected and Human type enemies.
- Cut Demolishers – and everything else – in half.
- More dismemberment!
- Every limb can be cut in 3 places.
- New visualizations of damage done to enemies (visible bones, ribs, eyeballs, etc.).
- VFX adjustments for blood and guts.
- Players can rip out a chunk of flesh and leave a hole in the enemy’s body.
- “Spill the beans” takes on a literal meaning with the possibility of ripping the guts from your foe.
- New hit detection code for improved enemy reactions to being hit with a weapon.
- More smashed head variants.
- “Domino Ragdoll” introduced, where enemies can fall on each other, with a proper reaction to the force and weight that pushes them.
- More ragdoll improvements for immersion and emergent gameplay.
- Added an ability to dismember enemies through collisions with environment objects.
- Support for Biters seamlessly falling from high ground, including rooftops.
- Enemies can pass burning and electrocuted effects to each other.
- Added new hit reactions and improved some of the existing ones.
- To slay enemies with style, you need the proper weapon, and we understand how durability makes you cycle through your arsenal and how hard it is to loot good weapons. With Weapon Crafting, we offer you full control over your loadout.
- Crafting will happen with… Craftmasters (hooray!).
- You will need to obtain weapon blueprints by exploring The City or claiming them as a reward. Then, you can find your claimed blueprints at the Craftmaster’s shop.
Teleporting to other players in co-op
- Players in a co-op session can gather teammates during common interactions (for example, to talk with an NPC or go to sleep).
- Ability to dismantle weapons to receive crafting resources.
- Two-handed weapons received some love with the ability to add mods to them.
- Possibility to switch on/off in-game event participation.
- Rebalance of the number of Howlers during the night.
- Players can knock over enemies by sliding into them.
- More special infected encounters during the day.
- Improved stability related to the host’s game crashing when another user attempts to connect.
- Aiden’s head animation is now displayed properly when turning around while hanging from a pole or pipe.
- Fixed a game crash for the host or peers upon finishing the Carriers 3 side quest.
- Fixed an issue where the host could encounter a black screen during dialogues.
- In-game music no longer stops playing when the player is downed in the Bloody Ties challenge.
- Functionality of mines is fixed.
- Adjusted the Respawn button prompt to be more intuitive for players.
- Players are now able to see the distance to teammates when downed in co-op sessions.
- Moreover, players will no longer see multiple icons when joining a co-op session.
- Players in co-op are less likely to spawn in the model of an NPC after dialogue or a cutscene.
- Notifications about inability to join co-op sessions have been improved to reflect more accurate information to players.
- Huge groups of Tyrants and Volatiles will no longer be spotted in the open world.
- Fixed an issue where players couldn’t complete Achievements.
- Players can no longer perform a Knife Takedown and instantly kill infected with a higher level than Aiden.
- Fixed a bug where Biters would grab Aiden one after another.
- It’s easier to aim for the head with a baseball bat.
- Adjusted stamina consumption for higher-tier weapons.
- Players will be able to escape from a Volatile if QTE Hold Mode is enabled.
- The attack animation on some weapons is now faster, making all the attacks have the exact timing.
- A proper light is present in multiple places between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. and during specific weather conditions.
- Fixed an issue where Hakon would become unresponsive, show improper behavior, or not follow the correct path in various quests.
- Fixed an issue with loot missing from the Sunken Airdrop.
- Human enemies no longer die instantly after removing their masks.
- Improved Spitter’s damaging actions.
- Added missing textures on The City map.
- Fixed an issue where craft plans were missing, resulting in blocking game progress.
- There will be a proper time change when the player dies during the “Get to the Safe Zone” objective.
- Fixed multiple issues related to Aiden being respawned incorrectly.
- The correct animation is played when the “Ground Pound” skill is used.
- Aiden’s model will no longer lose collision upon jumping through certain points of the Artist Workshop, Trading post, and Rooftop School.
- Players will no longer be moved under the map when changing to any of Legendary Level outfits.
- Instant Escape stabbing audio fixed.
- Fixed an issue where Play from Chapter was not available under some circumstances.
- Players can no longer see what’s under the map during the X13 quest.
- Players can no longer obtain an unlimited amount of spears during the last fight in the Bloody Ties DLC.
- Improved sound for the taunt animation done by Renegades.
- Shadows related to players’ movement will be rendered correctly.
- No more Waltz waltzing around after the game is completed – he will no longer spawn randomly.
- Dynamic Competitions won’t trigger near Hubs as often.
- Blocked revealing discoverables and detectable zones during dynamic competitions.
- Improvements to memory usage and performance in longer play sessions.
- Updated XeSS to 1.1. XeSS is now the default upscaler on ARC.
- Improved foliage lighting.
- Improved dissolve dithering to better simulate transparency.
- Also improved water reflections, turbidity, and refraction.
- Improved shadows with ray tracing enabled.
- Improved specular reflections on chemicals.
- Also improved volumetric shadows.
- Memory usage optimization.
- Fixed mesh flickering on some models.
- Fixes an issue where the game crashed when Photo Mode was spammed during the Windmill or Antenna panel animations.
- Also fixed left-hand grip animation.
- Fixed missing text from the Stash, Respawn, Bounty, Fast Travel menu, Inventory, Crafting, and Collectibles menus.
- Fixed text translations when starting parkour challenges before acquiring the paraglider.
- The health bar is now visible during the grab animation.
- The stamina bar depletes as usual upon Aiden’s death and respawning.
- Fixed minor typos and translation errors.