Back in 2018, we informed you about Unholy, a new first-person horror/stealth game from former Painkiller, Bulletstorm & Gears of War developers. And, after four whole years, we finally get a release date window and a brand new gameplay trailer.
Unholy takes place on a desolate planet where the last members of the human race live in the Last City. The game will be using Unreal Engine 4 and promises to immerse players in a uniquely dark environment.
Initially, Unholy aimed to offer multiple ways to approach challenges through stealth, or through exploiting the city’s social order. However, there is currently no mention of this on its official Steam store page.
Here are the game’s new key features:
- Two parallel worlds to explore. The grey and cold reality on a brutalist post-soviet Eastern European town and the creepy and twisted world of Unholy, a grotesque society ruled by a relentless priest caste.
- An intense psychological horror experience driven by a deep dark narrative storyline played over captivatingly dark quality visuals based on the works of reputed dark artist Tomasz Strza?kowski (Duality Games Art director and founder).
- A unique gameplay blend that combines meticulous exploration, intriguing puzzle solving, infiltration and stealth with innovative shooting dynamics.
- An innovative combat system. Use four different emotions: anger, fear, sadness and desire to interact with the environment (destroy obstacles, trigger mechanisms, overload circuits, illuminate your way) or to confuse, lure or damage your opponents.
- Masks! Everybody in the unholy world hides behind a mask and it can be the difference between life or death. Build your own mask to get new skills and improve your abilities. Alternatively, you can wear other masks to infiltrate, confuse your enemies and impersonate your opponents.