Square Enix Collective has announced that its forthcoming sandbox MMO Boundless from UK studio Wonderstruck will launch on September 11th. Offering gamers a single universe of connected worlds in which every element – the politics, the economy, the crafting and the communities – is entirely created and run by the players, Boundless promises to ensure everyone is exploring, building, crafting, trading and collaborating within one single ecosystem.
James Austin, Director of Wonderstruck, said:
“Throughout its Early Access run, we’ve watched players flourish within Boundless’ evolving universe. Now, with our full launch in September, we’re excited to see where they take the full game – especially given that PC and PS4 gamers will all be operating within the same space, crafting and creating with each other within the same worlds.”
One of the big draws of Boundless is the ability to open portals to travel seamlessly between diverse planets as you expand your adventure across the universe; or watch the sun rise on a volcanic world before joining friends to prospect for precious resources on a desert planet. Furthermore, everything in the game is created by players – so if you want something, you’ll either need to craft it yourself, or trade with others.
Phil Elliott, Director of Indie Publishing at Square Enix West, added:
“For a game like Boundless, which relies on the community to create a constantly evolving universe, allowing every player, in every region, on every platform, to play together was always vital. Because one of the really important, unique aspects of Boundless is that – whichever path you choose within the game, and whichever role you play – you do it in a single, unsharded universe in full view of the entire player-base. Which means that your actions have real meaning.”
Boundless can be broken down into six main areas at launch – exploration, building, crafting, hunting, trading, and settlement-building – with players able to choose their place in a massive, open-universe sandbox. With the expanse of worlds around them constantly shifting and changing, players are encouraged to shape their role and play their part in a universe where anything is possible.
Here are the game’s key features:
- Colonise planets by yourself or join a settlement with others and grow your Beacon into the capital of the world with the Prestige system
- Craft hundreds of items including building blocks, tools, weapons, food and much more
- Spend your hard earned skill points in the Skill Tree and tailor your character to how you want to play the game
- Complete objectives, feats and events to earn rewards and Experience Points to level up your character
- Build and maintain a Portal between worlds for you and others to use
- Trade items with others or set up a shop to sell and buy items while you’re off adventuring
- Seamlessly travel to new worlds and discover different creatures, resources, block colours and user generated creations in an ever-changing universe – each world automatically regenerates areas that are not protected by a Beacon and returns it to its original layout, creating new and much needed resources for you to collect
John is the founder and Editor in Chief at DSOGaming. He is a PC gaming fan and highly supports the modding and indie communities. Before creating DSOGaming, John worked on numerous gaming websites. While he is a die-hard PC gamer, his gaming roots can be found on consoles. John loved – and still does – the 16-bit consoles, and considers SNES to be one of the best consoles. Still, the PC platform won him over consoles. That was mainly due to 3DFX and its iconic dedicated 3D accelerator graphics card, Voodoo 2. John has also written a higher degree thesis on the “The Evolution of PC graphics cards.”