Bethesda has just released the first PC patch for the latest FPS game from iD Software, RAGE. As was promised, this patch adds – among other things – some video options with which players can adjust their gaming experience. As the release notes state, RAGE defaults to lower video settings to allow the game to work on a wide variety of hardware and software configurations.
The original release of RAGE does not expose many video/graphics options for people to tweak because some of these settings, although desirable from a quality perspective, simply will not work on specific configurations either due to hardware limitations and/or driver bugs. Due to popular demand for more video and graphics options, this patch updates the video settings menu and exposes several quality and performance settings. However, not everyone may be able to increase the settings due to hardware limitations and/or driver bugs.
So, gamers now can adjust VSync, Texture Cache and Anisotropic Filter. We should point out that the patch notes do not mention any other graphic options than the aforementioned, so this might not actually please the majority of PC gamers that were expecting proper advanced graphics settings.
Here is the entire changelog. This patch will be auto-downloaded next time you start the Steam client.
-Implemented workaround for AMD driver crash right after intro cinematic on
Win 7 32-bit systems.
– Disabled UBOs because they are causing animation issues with AMD drivers.
– Don’t allow swap-tear to be enabled on AMD while the extension is not exposed because it may crash.
– Support for new video settings: “texture cache”, “vsync” and “anisotropic filter”
– Automatically adjust vt_maxPPF based on the number of available cores.
– Improved performance for SLI cards when GPU transcode is enabled.
– Fix for GPU Transcoding option being disabled after exiting gameplay.
– Added safe mode to restore video settings to default values.
– Allow g_fov to be changed from the RAGE launch options in Steam.
– Server now forwards text chat from clients to all other clients while