Modders Millanta and Palfrey have released a mod that adds a weather system in Valve’s Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Right now, this mod adds weather patterns to dust2, Cache, Mirage and Overpass maps.
According to the mod’s description, each map comes with 10 different weather patterns, and at the start of each round one of these weather patterns is selected at random.
The available weather patterns are:
- Thunderstorm (heavy rain, low visibility, puddles, frequent lightning, storm clouds)
- Heavy rain (heavy rain, medium visibility, puddles, occasional lightning, storm clouds)
- Light rain (light rain, normal visibility, puddles, no lightning, storm clouds)
- Heavy sandstorm (low visibility, dust in atmosphere, sandstorm sky)
- Medium sandstorm (medium visibility, dust in atmosphere, sandstorm sky)
- Light sandstorm (good visibility, sandstorm sky)
- Heavy fog (low visibility, overcast sky)
- Light fog (medium visibility, overcast sky)
- After Rain (normal environment with puddles)
- Default (everything normal)
What’s really interesting here is that these weather patterns will affect the gameplay. For example, rain will extinguish fire around the map and collect into puddles while sandstorms will severely limit visibility. As Millanta told Eurogamer:
“When raining it is harder to both hear enemies approaching and to see without the aid of a sniper rifle. This means that while your enemy may have an advantage while AWPing [aka while using the Arctic Warfare Magnum sniper rifle, famous for one-hit kills], it is easier for those stealthy players to sneak up on said AWPers.”
Those interested can download the mod from here.