Valve has released a brand new update for its latest Half-Life VR game, Half-Life: Alyx. According to the release notes, Update 1.4 adds subtitles for multiple languages. Moreover, it fixes some crash issues that PC gamers have reported.
This latest update enables the Postprocessing Editor, adds “Custom Character” example addon, and adds core functionality required for Lua scripting. It also adds some Alyx-specific script bindings for querying VR controller input and creating nav mesh paths from entity scripts.
Additionally, it adds checks for users loading a savegame with missing addons. It also fixes a bug where exiting the game by closing SteamVR could generate bad save files.
As always, Steam will download this update the next time you launch its client. Below you can also find its complete changelog.
Half-Life Alyx Update 1.4 Release Notes
- Added subtitles for: Brazilian, Czech, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Bottles now appear to have liquid inside them that sloshes around as you shake them.
- UI appears quicker when returning to Main Menu
- Improvements to addon management UI
- Added checks for users loading a savegame with missing addons (eg. unsubscribed or deleted)
- Added error message if a game fails to load due to a missing map requested by an addon
- Various crash fixes
- Fixed bug where exiting the game by closing SteamVR could generate bad save files
- Enabled the Postprocessing Editor
- Added “Custom Character” example addon
- Added example maps for:
Blind Zombie (a.k.a. Jeff)
Hacking and Toner Puzzles
Parked Vehicles and other Interactive Prefabs
- Added core functionality required for Lua scripting and added some Alyx-specific script bindings for querying VR controller input and creating nav mesh paths from entity scripts
- Enabled live bone constraints in SFM, which can be baked/enabled as procedural bones, like cloth
- Fixed case where some explicitly specified meshes became hulls. (eg. func_shatterglass will now build in a map without having to enable legacy collision mesh.)
- Added some meshes that were missing from parked vehicle prefabs.
- Made SFM UI less Dota-specific in a few places
- Fixed missing map models (mostly combine stations) in SFM
- Fixed Import Sequence in SFM to work correctly on sequences with animated root orientation
John is the founder and Editor in Chief at DSOGaming. He is a PC gaming fan and highly supports the modding and indie communities. Before creating DSOGaming, John worked on numerous gaming websites. While he is a die-hard PC gamer, his gaming roots can be found on consoles. John loved – and still does – the 16-bit consoles, and considers SNES to be one of the best consoles. Still, the PC platform won him over consoles. That was mainly due to 3DFX and its iconic dedicated 3D accelerator graphics card, Voodoo 2. John has also written a higher degree thesis on the “The Evolution of PC graphics cards.”