Now here is a pleasant surprise. ArenaNET has released a brand new patch for the first Guild Wars game, adding some new graphics settings/options. According to the release notes, this new update adds support for windowed Fullscreen, a new 8X MSAA anti-aliasing option, and a new “Advanced” option checkbox.
Furthermore, this patch adds a new option has been added to suppress Whisper messages from players, increases the maximum number of active minipets allowed in outposts, doubles the maximum number of friends and ignored players from 100 to 200, and fixes two bugs.
Steam will download this patch the next time you launch its client, and you can find its complete changelog below (kudos to our reader ‘Aurimas Berzanskis’ for informing us).
Guild Wars May 9 Update Release Notes
- Increased the maximum number of active minipets allowed in outposts.
- Added windowed Fullscreen support.
- Added a new 8X MSAA anti-aliasing option.
- The “Use best texture filtering” option will now take advantage of 16x Anisotropic filtering.
- A new “Advanced” option checkbox has been added to the Graphics options panel. This will replace the “-lodfull” command line option that was added recently.
- Model LODs will always use the highest available LOD (Level Of Detail), regardless of distance, including the disabling of “imposter” models.
- The max draw distance will be doubled. Ground cover vegetation draw distance will be pushed out even further.
- Terrain LODs will almost always draw in highest.
Note: Full changes won’t take effect until changing maps.
- A new option has been added to suppress Whisper messages from players that don’t meet the following criteria:
Party member, friend, active trade partner, or recent party/team member.
- You may now /report directly in the whisper chat window without needing to type the character name.
Reporting players is still restricted to the same district that you’re in.
- Custom chat filters are now possible. To use this feature, you must create a ChatFilter.ini file. The file will be placed in the “C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Guild Wars” folder. The file layout is as follows:
- The maximum number of friends and ignored players has been doubled to 100 and 20 respectively.
- Added a Report button to the party search dialog.
- Fixed an issue where your character’s LOD drops when zooming out the camera.
- Fixed an issue where the game client becomes unresponsive when it gets minimized or sent to the background.