Blizzard has just updated the first StarCraft game and made it available to everyone. Yeap, you read that right; you can go ahead and download for free the original version of this legendary strategy game.
This new free version of StarCraft comes with a new OpenGL backend, improved compatibility with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10, improved anticheat capabilities, as well as installation and patching performance.
Do note that this is a PTR (Public Test Realm) version featuring a server based in California. As such, some may experience lag depending on their geographic location. Furthermore, some players may experience a pause when selecting multiplayer (the issue is firewall related).
Those interested can download this free version of StarCraft from here.
And here are the full release notes for its latest version.
Known Issues on PTR:
- The PTR server is based in California, so you may experience lag depending on your geographic location.
- Having addons such as wLauncher, Chaos Plugin, or others running will cause a crash. We recommend uninstalling addons to play 1.18.
- Some players may experience a pause when selecting multiplayer. The issue is firewall related. If you do encounter a pause, please report how long the pause lasted, your system specs, and what firewall was triggered here.
- Some computers’ firewalls will prompt to whitelist SC on every game launch when entering multiplayer.
- Players cannot create private games with a non English password.
- Vespene geyser has a graphical issue.
- UTF-8 not supported in chat channels.
1.18 Patch Notes
- Added windowed fullscreen or windowed mode; use Alt+Enter to switch between.
- Added the option to customize keybindings.
- Added cursor clamping in-game while windowed; unclamped in menus.
- Added Popular Maps to streamline finding games or game types.
- Added options to display actions per minute.
- Added Observer mode.
- Added opponent information when joining a game lobby.
- Added autosaving for replays.
- Added an option to display the game timer.
- Added UPnP support.
- Updated to a new OpenGL backend.
- Improved gameplay responsiveness during multiplayer by increasing turn rate to match LAN speeds over Battle.net.
- Improved UI layout in Battle.net sections.
- Improved behavior of available lobbies within the ‘Join Game’ section.
- Improved compatibility with Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.
- Improved anticheat capabilities.
- Improved installation and patching performance.
- Fixed palette issues to correct rainbow water, 80s Kerrigan face in the loading screen, and other graphic glitches.
- Fixed problems with LAN game discovery.
- Fixed IME support and other menu text artifacts.
- LAN and Legacy Battle.net fixes.
- The profile section is currently unavailable.
- Maps using EUD memory buffer overflow will not work.