Jumpdrive Studios has launched a Kickstarter campaign for XO. XO is a stylish and deep new space-based strategy game and is influenced by other sci-fi experiences including Battlestar Galactica, The Lost Fleet and FTL.
Corey Warning of Jumpdrive Studios said:
“We’ve received a tremendous amount of support from the indie community so far. I think we initially struck a chord with the game’s visual style, and once we started diving into the political system, people started to get really excited.
We’ve teamed up with one of my favorite composers Jim Guthrie – who I very much admire. His work on Sword & Sworcery and Indie Game: The Movie is what inspired me to start making games with my friends in the first place, which set me on my path into the games industry.”
The team aims to raise $40K in the next 28 days.
XO is a single player game in which newtonian physics govern starship movement in a 2D plane. The game unfolds in real-time but you can pause the action and issue commands. Most of the gameplay is procedurally generated, including events, weapons, star systems, and personalities.
Here are some of the game’s features:
- Emerge from jumpspace near a planet where you will begin rescuing ships, gathering resources, and defending against ever-stronger waves of enemies until you judge it is time to evacuate the fleet.
- Navigate a complex political system as the war brings out the best and worst in people. Promote the finest in your fleet to your council. Heed their advice or face the consequences.
- Choose the next planet to jump to based on limited intel, taking into account the resources you need, reported enemy strength, and refugees at each possible destination. Spin up the fleet’s jump drives and lead your able ships to the temporary safety of jumpspace.
- In jumpspace, use your resources to upgrade ships, manufacture weapons, and make critical repairs.
- Continue this cycle until you amass enough firepower to defeat the enemy mothership and escape with as many people as possible.