Frictional Games has released a brand new update for Amnesia: The Dark Descent. According to the developers, this new patch adds a Hard Mode and as its name suggests… this mode that makes it harder to beat the game.
In Hard Mode, the environments are harsher, the monsters more unforgiving, insanity is deadly, and death is final. This new mode affects the Illuminatus achievement, and beating the game on Hard Mode will earn you a new trophy called Masochist.
As always, Steam will download this patch the next time you launch its client and you can find its complete changelog below.
Amnesia: The Dark Descent Hard Mode Patch Release Notes
The Hard Mode has the following features:
- Autosaves are disabled, and manual saving costs 4 tinderboxes
- Sanity dropping to zero results in death
- Less oil and tinderboxes throughout the levels
- Monsters are faster, spot the player more easily, deal more damage and stay around for longer
- There is no danger music when the monsters are near.